Friday

Week 6: Brazilian

I was thrilled when I discovered that the challenge for this week was Brazilian food.  I've enjoyed checking out the forum and seeing everyone else's interpretation of one of my favorite cuisines.  A lot of familiar faces have appeared, but I wanted to try something I've never made before.  I decided on Feijao Tropeiro (Trooper's Beans) which is a hearty winter dish we ate frequently when we were in Brazil in June.  It's a bean stew, similar to the famous "Feijoada".

It was a long process, beginning with soaking the beans the night before.


Early the next morning, I rinsed and drained the beans and then set them aside.  I sauteed the vegetables and meat until they started to caramelize, then added plenty of chicken broth and spices.
 

After adding the beans and letting it all cook down for a few hours, I served the feijao with Farofa (a grain side dish made from toasted cassava flour) and sliced hard boiled eggs.  


And here it is paired with white rice and a lime wedge. 


I wasn't thrilled, but it's certainly not bad.  I'll happily take it for lunch for the rest of the week.  



No comments: