Saturday

Week 27: BBQ

For this week's assignment of BBQ, it didn't occur to me that I should actually try to use the barbecue grill.  Instead, I made a dish that captures the spirit of BBQ using the slow cooker.  

This was our "5th of July" feast and it consisted of "BBQ" pulled pork sandwiches, baked maple beans, and a spinach pasta salad.


It was absolutely delicious.  The pork spends almost 5 hours in the slow cooker before being shredded and put in a hot oven to crisp up a little.  The pasta salad is one of my favorites, using farfalle pasta and two entire bags of spinach.

Dessert was outside the scope of the challenge, but it was a big hit, so I'll include it here.  I made baked apple dumplings from a recipe I found online.  The secret ingredient is a little bit of Mountain Dew!


    
       

They were just right fresh out of oven with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream! 

      


No comments: